A blog detailing our collection of Peter Powell kites, and chronicling our flying of these kites. Plus a bit of PP kite history thrown in. Our collection to date stands at 77 kites and can be seen here. I am keen to expand the collection, so if you have an old Peter Powell kite, whether made in the UK or the US, gathering dust and looking for a new home, why not get in touch? Depending on the kite (does it bring something new or different to my collection?), its condition (is it flyable? how much TLC does it need?), and the price you ask (+ shipping if from outside the UK), we may well be able to do a deal.

Wednesday 29 November 2017

Early American PP Stunter

When the American Peter Powell Kites company was set up in order to deal with the demand for PP Stunters in the US, they initially produced kites that were basically identical to the UK-produced Mk I Stunters. Although my collection of US-produced Peter Powell kites has gradually been expanding, it didn't contain one of those early American PP Stunters. Until now, that is; frequent checking of ebay.com paid off!


Polythene sail, fibreglass frame, 3-point bridle, tube tail; all looks very familiar.


And in terms of flight characteristics, it handles no differently from the UK-produced Stunters I'm familiar with.


I did say 'basically identical', didn't I? There is one sure way to tell such an early American Mk I from a British Mk I. Look carefully at the 'Peter Powell Sky Stunter' sticker on the kite: it carries a Fort Lauderdale address as opposed to a Cheltenham one ...


2 comments:

  1. Hi enjoying your site. I have a US Peter Powell kite from the late 90's with a colourful design I have not ever seen, which might be of interest to you. There's a couple of images and pretty basic video of it being flown in West Wales recently on this link:
    https://jonnieturpie.com/Picturesfrom2023/peter-powell-us-kite.html

    If you know of other examples of this design or the history of this design let me know. Thanks Jonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. US Mk III, which was a development of the Mk I (Mk II went into a different direction). Keep in mind that UK and US Mk numbers are not the same and can't be compared. Are you thinking of selling it?

      Delete